Thursday, October 28, 2010

Gina's Homemade Straight-From-The-Heart Wild Bird Suet

The birds have to eat too...

Ahhhh, that glorious sound of the song birds. Now who doesn't love that? It is easy to appreciate these beautiful birds in the summer when they grace our back yards with their colorful songs and inquisitive nature. They keep me company while gardening or relaxing by the pond and pop out to greet me when I walk out to check on my neighbor. While my husband is digging deeper under the covers and buries his head under an extra pillow, I am one of 'those' who welcomes their cheerful song just at the crack of dawn. 'Wake up, wake up!' they sing to me from the bird feeders, and I almost hear them call my name.

Come winter, I slowly gravitate indoors, either stoking fires in the wood stove or working in the kitchen and I become an infrequent guest in their outdoor home, only stopping by to drop a few crusts of bread in the bird feeder. When I draw the heavy winter drapes open each morning, I search for them, wishing they would sing my name again. Nothing. It is entirely my fault.

This year I have vowed to be a better winter friend to them. Purchasing my first bird feeders in nearly 20 years (the old ones gave out two years ago and I just haven't replaced them) I find the birds are allowing me in again after probably giving up on my company at the onset of autumn. The bird feeder is from a reputable company and their suet feeders are just the ticket for my homemade wild bird suet!


I am a feeder, if you will. My family understand that is one way in which I show them how much I love them. The best food is the food made by someone who loves you, who is willing to poor themselves into the food that will nourish you. I think the birds understand this. Their bird feeders are chock full now and I have a special recipe for them once the weather turns even colder.

Gina's Homemade, Straight-from-the-heart Wild Bird Suet 

1 pound suet cut into small pieces
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all natural chunky peanut butter (no sugar added)
1 cup mixed wild bird seed
1 cup black oil sunflower seeds

Melt suet in pot or microwave.
Stir in peanut butter until melted.
Mix in remaining ingredients
Pour into paper-lined muffin tins.
Chill until hardened or freeze.

*Suggestion: I save the mesh bags onions and garlic come in for these little muffin-sized bird treats and hang them on hooks or branches.

Can keep in freezer until ready to put out for the birds.



Want more information on bird feeders and similar unique products? Visit Internet Retail Connection, a network of e-commerce sites dedicated to offering you incredible outdoor products at affordable prices. These sites are perfect for that Holiday shopping you're about to jump into!

2 comments:

  1. Where do you buy suet Gina? I would love to make these!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can get it in the grocery stores near me. Tesco, Sainsbury and Waitrose. However, I know in the States you can get it as well. Ask at the customer service desk at your grocery store to see if they have it. I could be shelf stable but I buy it in the refrigerated section.

    Good Luck finding it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...