Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What's Love Got To Do With It?

My mother raised me right. She taught me by example. She taught me how to do all of those great things like taking care of people and pets, being a good listener, being sensitive to others' feelings, showing love and most of all that Love is Powerful. People are meant to love and be loved. She is right. We are. 

Valentine's Day may be one of those many Hallmark days created by the greeting card industry to cash in on this very sentiment. But, who cares? When life gets away from us and we get bogged down in routine a little reminder to show the our loved ones how much we love them is completely acceptable in my book. It's sort of like the 'any excuse for a party' statement. 

How do you show your love?

Personally, I don't believe you have to spend a lot of money, or any money for that matter, to express this - even for Valentine's Day. All you have to do is give something of yourself. 

I bake. It's what I do. How I show I am thinking of someone, I care and how I like to celebrate. Baking in and of itself is a celebratory time for me. I treasure the moments when I have the time and ingredients to bake luxurious sweets and appreciate the times when all I can find is some butter, flour, sugar and baking soda. Cookies anyone? 

Baking is how my mother celebrated also. Perhaps that's where I learned this. I will always remember when I was seven years old during the summer we moved to Vermont. Desperate for a sweet treat yet with no cash and only a few basic ingredients my mother rummaged through the cupboards and called out... 'how about brown sugar cookies?' We all cheered and I made up this little song.

Mama's gonna make brown sugar cookies
Mama's gonna make brown sugar cookies
Mama's gonna make brown sugar cookies
We're gonna eat them all day long

This very moment is nearly indescribable. All I feel when I remember it is love.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...