This impresses me.
Impresses me in that it leaves an impression on me, making me realize how important
these traditions are to so many of us. They really are time honoured. I have
memorized countless of my mother’s recipes that I could write a cookbook of
them. Her recipe for pane (bread) that was passed down from my grandmother with
only three ingredients: flour, water and salt, is seared into my brain. Potato gnocchi, risotto, dandelion wine and cheesecake are all swimming in that great
wrinkly grey mass in my head.
Sometimes I rework the recipes and other times it seems it
would be a crime to tamper with them. Some days I tear through the index in my
head in search of a recipe I have never made but I know is there. And then
there are those recipes which I have failed to commit to memory. Every year I inevitably
call for her crunchy fudge sandwich recipe. Even the infamous Easter Ham and
Egg Pie recipe has slipped from my memory warranting a phone call.
My mother is an exceptional cook. Her recipes are renown
throughout the state of Vermont and probably still in Virginia. She has never
been afraid to try something new. Never been afraid to create disasters in the
kitchen. Never bragged when her attempts were enormous successes. She always
accepted the challenges her Italian mother-in-law threw in her direction and
scoffed at the thought that she couldn’t make it better. (Which, by the way, is
exactly how you handle an Italian
mother-in-law!) And she always, always
baked something special for each person she knew when it was their birthday.
When I think of the enormous kitchen in the old farmhouse in
which I grew up, I am reminded of how it smelled. Always of fresh baked bread
and chocolate cake. On Thanksgiving and Christmas the aromas of a roasting
turkey would break through the wall of bread and chocolate. Oftentimes a
lasagne or even bacon and eggs in the morning would spread their joy throughout
the house. But there was always the underlying sensation of bread and chocolate.
After all, she did bake bread twice a week and made on average a chocolate cake
every three days in that kitchen for over 20 years!
I have grown into who I am today because of the impression
my mother left on me as well as the impressions all of those recipes passed
down for generations. I am part Italian, part English and 100% inspired to be
the best I could possibly be not just in the kitchen but in life.
Here’s to making every day the best we can, remembering the
people who inspired us to grow into who we are, surrounding ourselves with
wonderful food and sharing our most treasured recipes.
*Photo of sweet potato gnocchi courtesy of Jill Brown


No comments:
Post a Comment