With Spring comes the memories of
friends and family and the urge to reunite. It is this time of year when I plan
for the rest of the year: plant the garden, plan a summer vacation and organize
gatherings with friends. Pouring over plant catalogs and Do-it-Yourself
magazines, calendars of events and travel guides, my diary is quickly filled with
notations of sleepovers for my stepson, school vacations, festivals, parties,
dinner dates, and if I am lucky, vacations for me and my husband and visits
from family and friends from overseas. I love including my past in my present
day life and look forward to brining it into my future. If I can bring the
memories of my ancestors with me, what better ways to do this than through the
recipes that have been shared with me? The collection of all moments makes me
happy and it only gets sweeter when the opportunity to share these moments
arises. This is why I plan, why I love to share and ultimately why tradition is
so important to me.
Easter has always been a uniquely joyous and happy time in
my family – one that hosts a very different mood than Christmas or
Thanksgiving. We never had Easter egg hunts but we did have jelly bean hunts.
To this day my father finds petrified jelly beans lodged in the cracks of the
exposed hand hewn beams in the farmhouse. We always found beautiful baskets
filled with tiny chocolate eggs, marshmallow peeps and a single large chocolate
Easter rabbit for each of us. My mother always sang the “Peter Cottontail”
song, substituting the names for ours. When she’d get to that point in the song,
we’d all chime in “there’ll be jelly beans for Gina, colored egg for Michael
John, chocolate bunny for Andrea, and a present for Dad and Mom!” She’d finish the song on her own as none of us knew the rest. And of course, we would always dye Easter eggs!
There were a lot of traditions we developed over the years. Some
I have left to memory and others I have taken into my heart and shared with
many friends. To this day I still make my family’s Ham and Egg Pie recipe every
Easter. And, as with many other recipes handed down to me, I count on my mother to repeat it to me each year when I
realize I misplaced the last scrap of paper on which I jotted the recipe down
the year before. That is sort of a tradition unto itself.
As with most old world recipes taken out of their homeland
and dropped in the middle of a new culture, my family’s traditional Easter Ham
and Egg Pie is based on traditional techniques, cultural ethos and everyday
lifestyle only with an American twist. You used what you had. And it wasn’t always the case that available
ingredients were the same that were commonplace in the motherland. Making due
is what they called it. And making due was just as much fun, delicious and
festive as always.
Ham & Egg Pie
(Long ago the actual directions were lost or may never have
been passed down. However, I’m sure you’ll figure out what to do!)
Make a basic pastry crust to line the bottom of a large 9”
or 10” spring form pan.
Filling
8 hard boiled eggs (quartered)
8 hard boiled eggs (quartered)
3 cups diced ham
¾ lb. diced mozzarella cheese
1 lb. ricotta cheese
12 raw eggs
¼ cup parmesan cheese
Beat the eggs, add the ricotta cheese, mix in the hard
boiled eggs, ham and remaining cheeses. Add salt and pepper to taste (sometimes I
add a bit of nutmeg) and pour into
pastry lined pan. Bake at 325° Fahrenheit
for one hour or until done.




No comments:
Post a Comment